Home | Home Education | Parties

Liberty Hill House has MOVED!!!
Check our our newest posts at www.LibertyHillHouse.com

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kitchen Update

I've been asked to post updated photos of our kitchen project.  The view from far away isn't too impressive yet.  What kitchen looks good with all of the dishes and food on display?  Our custom cabinet doors have been ordered from Walzcraft, and we have been told that they will be finished within the next 10 days (but I'm not holding my breath).  After they arrive we will still need to stain and poly them, so it will be several more weeks until we make any real progress.  After that we can paint the ceilings and walls and tile the backsplash.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole project come together.  


Here are some of my favorite features of our new kitchen so far:

Granite countertops - great for rolling out pie crust and durable enough for daily kid craft projects.  We haven't been able to stain them yet.

Cork floors - soft, warm, and able to be cleaned simply with water.  No soap needed.

Plus, both are pretty!











My amazing Brizo faucet that automatically senses when your hand are under it!  I love being able to do dishes without turning the faucet on and off a thousand times.  I also like that the kids can't leave it running.  If you'd like a giggle, check out this promotional video.  I never imagined they could make a faucet look so dramatic.












My office corner!  I have stashed my printer under the counter, so I can do my work where I usually spend most of my time.  No more trecking the laptop across the house every time I need to print a recipe.













My filing drawer.  For years I have LOVED the portability of these file boxes, but I've been annoyed because they always seemed to be hanging around the house all the time.  This drawer is just deep enough to stash two - one for my bills, and the other for school lesson plans.













All of my husband's "hidden" features.  Our outlets are tucked under the upper cabinets, our TV is hidden in the "MacGyver Cabinet" and my microwave is under the island countertop rather than sitting out on the counter.  I just think it looks better this way.  












The enormous spice cabinet that we built into the wall - If you look closely you will notice that it exactly the size and shape of our old basement door. Instead of completely walling off the door, I asked for this space to be built. I still can't believe I had all of those spices hidden on the top shelf of my hall closet before this was built!












They always say that the kitchen is the hardest room to renovate, and now I know why - there are SO many details to think about, decide upon, organize, and implement.  So far I'm really happy with the way our project is coming out.  It will be fun to see how it looks with those cabinet doors!

1 comment:

Nate, Michelle, Trent, Dylan and Aliya said...

THANK YOU!!!! I know I was the one begging for this blog! The kitchen looks so GREAT! I know it is harder to see the improvement when you live in the house, but WOW what a change from the last time I saw it! I can't wait to go see it all for myself (and use your fun faucet!) Love you!