Home | Home Education | Parties

Liberty Hill House has MOVED!!!
Check our our newest posts at www.LibertyHillHouse.com

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mother

A small hand on my arm; the other hand raised to eye level, index finger gently pointed and waving to get my attention. "Excuse Me Mother" . . . I hear this phrase dozens of times every day from my 4 year old boy. No one has ever asked him to speak this way. He just decided one day that this was the wanted to address me, and ever since I have been referred to as "Mother." Not Mom or Mommy, but the very formal "Mother."

I have tried asking him why, and his answer is simple, "Because that's your name." Guess I can't argue with that :-)

Maybe it has something to do with all of the old books that we read (I love the sweet stories of the 50s) or something he heard on TV.

My name is just another extension of his own personal style. My son is such an individual. He loves wearing creative clothing combinations that cause people to stop, stare, and smile.
A formal tuxedo - two sizes too small - jacket on the inside, vest over it. Mismatched gardening gloves, sandals, and a bright blue shirt glowing from underneath all of the other layers. He is quite the sight at the local playground!

They say that encouraging creativity in children will foster the development of self confidence, enthusiasm for learning, and problem solving skills. From the looks of it, this kid has it made!

Why Not?
AKA: Mother

2 comments:

Doris said...

And, don't you think that great big beautiful smile goes with that creative outfit? He is such a perfectionist in his own way. I bet if we asked him he would have a good reason for each article of clothing.

Viktoria said...

He is a handsome young man! Maybe he can give Herb some lessons on coordinating outfits! he he