Home | Home Education | Parties

Liberty Hill House has MOVED!!!
Check our our newest posts at www.LibertyHillHouse.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Little Fingerprints

We have only one step separating my dining room from the rest of the house, yet we should have installed a railing; a cute little railing at exactly 2 feet high. Because we don't have this railing, my youngest, who is still very unsteady on stairs, uses the wall to steady herself.

Did I mention that this step separates the dining room from the rest of the house? The dining room is the space where people eat messy things like spaghetti or work on great finger-painted masterpieces.

There are sinks in several locations throughout the rest of the house, but to get to any of them you need to go up that stair.


I get to wash my wall a lot.

It reminds me of a favorite poem by Edgar Guest ~

Home ain't a place that gold can buy or get up in a minute;
Afore it's home there's got t' be a heap o' livin' in it;
Within the walls there's got t' be some babies born, and then
Right there you've got t' bring 'em up t' women good an' men;
And gradjerly, as time goes on, ye find ye wouldn't part
With anything they ever used - they've grown into yer heart:
The old high chairs, the plaything, too, the little shoes they wore
Ye hoard; an' if ye could ye'd keep the thumb-marks on the door.
- excerpt from "Home"

I'm keeping a few thumb-marks . . . but I'd still like that railing.

1 comment:

Doris said...

Wow! that poem says it all. By the way, I have someone's handprints laminated on cardboard. Can't seem to part with it. :)