Home | Home Education | Parties

Liberty Hill House has MOVED!!!
Check our our newest posts at www.LibertyHillHouse.com

Friday, August 28, 2009

How can I help Michelle?


Roof obliterated     Windows shattered    Furniture ruined    Water damage     Children frightened     Pets failing     Fighting insurance     Leaving home     

Searching for safety and trying to go on

I can't help but think about my sister and her family.  The tornado took so much from them, and here I am, hundreds of miles away, snug and safe in my home.  I want to help; to jump up out of my chair and bake them some brownies or help pick up the things thrown around their living room.  But I can't.  I'm too far away.  

I keep hearing the same thing from other people too.  How can I help Michelle?  What do they need?  Is there anything I can do?  

Their needs are so big, but yet so simple.  Right now Michelle's family is holed up in a hotel room waiting for the insurance agents and contractors to decide what will happen next to their home, and their family.  In the mean time, they are trying to keep life as "normal" as they can for the kids.  They are spending more on gas to get to school and work, more on meals because they don't have access to a real kitchen , and more on general necessities simply because they have have very little ability to plan ahead right now.  And, to top it all off, they are fighting their insurance company to receive the coverage that they have paid for.

Our cousin Kerri has come up with a way for us to physically help out from far away.  She is calling it the "BLANKET FUND."  You can read the story of Michelle's family and the blankets, and donate to help them with their daily expenses by clicking here.  

Money won't bring their house back or ease the kids' anxiety with every thunder boom, but it can help them to meet their needs right now.  It is something I CAN do.  Can you?

No comments: