Home | Home Education | Parties

Liberty Hill House has MOVED!!!
Check our our newest posts at www.LibertyHillHouse.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Silent night - and day too

I have come down with a nasty virus that has left me with laryngitis. I can't speak.
I can barely squeak.
My poor husband needed to know that it was bedtime for the kids so, knowing that my voice is weird, I tried to scream it at him - he didn't even turn around. When I got up and walked the 4 feet I needed to cross to get to him I still had to speak in my "screaming" voice. He cocked his head and looked at me with a big question mark hanging above his head. His expression then turned to sympathy - then laughter. He understood what I needed, but I obviously looked like a crazy lady hollering in his face without making more than a whisper of a sound.

This is not the time of year to loose your voice.
  • I can't sing carols in the car with the kids while we bustle about finishing up our holiday errands.
  • I can't read all of those wonderful christmas books that we save for just this time of year.
  • I can't participate in choir at church, which is performing on Sunday. So not happening.
  • I can't do all of the wonderful holiday devotions that we started at the beginning of Advent.
  • I can't teach - which the kids don't seem to mind.
  • I can't even say an intelligible "thank you" to the cashier at the grocery store.
Maybe God is telling me something.
"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

Being still is not something I excel at. Sadly, this is especially true at this time of year. I am more of a mover, accomplisher, organizer, and planner. Hmm... I guess the best way to say it is that I am a controller. I think that the more I can get done on my own, the better life will be. No, I am not still enough. God is in control and I am not. He has plans that are better than mine and right now his plan is that I will have more time to practice listening to him for a while.

So if you see a crazy lady turning red from exertion and mouthing something in your direction, lean close. You might hear me whispering you a very heartfelt "Merry Christmas."

1 comment:

Doris said...

You give a new meaning "silent night.. and day too". Praise God you are taking this time to listen to HIM.